"Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship
My senses have been stripped, my hands can't feel to grip
My toes too numb to step, wait only for my boot heels
To be wanderin'
I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade
Into my own parade, cast your dancing spell my way
I promise to go under it." ~Bob Dylan, "Mr. Tambourine Man"

Monday, November 21, 2011

Nanthaburi National Park


School has been grrrreat lately, mainly because Josh and I have half days due to “sports week” (which will last 3 weeks and, as a result, is the cause of some envy among teacher friends placed in more "legit" schools...)!  With the invaluable gift of extra daylight, we've made the most of the opportunities and had some sweet Thaiventures! 

One of the more epic afternoons recently was spent riding our motorbikes an hour into the mountains to Nanthaburi National Park. The ride itself was not merely a means to an ends, but part of the invigorating experience. Our manual motorbikes mainly remained in low gears while the altitude increased and the roads became narrower and more twisted.  The challenge was to maintain focus on the road as mountains loomed on both sides, presenting spectacular, distracting views. We made numerous stops to simply admire the surroundings and soak in the newly discovered beauty around our new home. 



When Josh and I arrived at Nanthaburi National Park, we excitedly explored the exotic vegetation and made our way past the friendly ferns to an appealing plateau, where we witnessed a splendid sunset.  Quietude pervaded the national park and we speechlessly enjoyed the landscape of mountains upon mountains upon mountains.  I was high in the clouds and naturally feeling high on nature.  The most memorable moment was when I discovered a sudden migration of an unfamiliar dragonfly species flying from the grassy hill, through the sunset, to the opposite end of the plateau.  Once again, I will let the pictures and video say the remaining thousands of words! 


No comments:

Post a Comment