"Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship
My senses have been stripped, my hands can't feel to grip
My toes too numb to step, wait only for my boot heels
To be wanderin'
I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade
Into my own parade, cast your dancing spell my way
I promise to go under it." ~Bob Dylan, "Mr. Tambourine Man"

Monday, November 14, 2011

Loy Krathong Festival in Chiang Mai

a


The full moon landed on Thursday, which marked the main night of the Thai festival known as “Loy Krathong.”  Offerings were sent floating down local rivers as a symbolic apology for all the pollution (nothing says sorry for the pollution better than filling the water with more shit) and lanterns were lit and sent soaring in the bright night sky.



Josh and I skipped teaching on Friday and took a 6 hour bus ride to Chiang Mai to celebrate Loy Krathong for the weekend (after receiving the green light from our coordinator, of course.  We wouldn’t just play hooky from teaching… yet).  Undoubtedly one of the chillest spots in Thailand, Chiang Mai is backpacker friendly with numerous outdoor activities, a groovy night life, and plenty of markets and delicious restaurants (that actually serve more than just rice dishes).  It was touristy but not as overwhelmingly or obnoxiously touristy as Pattaya or certain parts of Bangkok.  It reminded me a little of Kathmandu, Nepal in its hippy vibe and is similarly a destination I plan on revisiting.

We stayed in a cool hostel that was run by one of the many ‘Merican Vietnam War vets whom have made their home in Thailand.  He taught his dog how to salute him and he sounded a bugle to call for his Thai wife.  However, that wasn’t the only part of the Loy Krathong weekend in Chiang Mai that reminded me of war… 

Everyone was in upbeat spirits and enjoyed the occasion, especially the Thai kids and teenagers whom were setting off fireworks and various other explosives.  Josh and I almost lost our hearing when some genius launched a firework off within short range from us.   Damn kids!  I don’t want to sound like a party pooper, but when little fuckin Thai kids are setting off fireworks IN PUBLIC, that’s where I draw the line.  I jumped about 5 feet in the air the first time I heard an explosive go off behind me.  I was also slightly burned by some firecrackers that were thrown at my feet.  See, the worst thing you should think in a situation like that is: “Well, I’m sure they know what they’re doing.  After all, the Thai people do this every year and the dangers of messing around with explosives are common knowledge.”  Wrong.  Good luck finding common sense, reason, or efficiency in Thailand, so make assumptions and expectations at your own risk.  As Walter explains in one of the many bowling scenes in The Big Lebowski, “Smokey, this is not ‘Nam… there are rules.”  Welcome to Southeast Asia. 

Despite dodging the bullets and ceaselessly cussing out the Thai kids, we had a lot of fun in Chiang Mai on 11/11/11 for the Loy Kratong festival!  I’ll let the videos and pictures from the memorable weekend tell the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment