"Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship
My senses have been stripped, my hands can't feel to grip
My toes too numb to step, wait only for my boot heels
To be wanderin'
I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade
Into my own parade, cast your dancing spell my way
I promise to go under it." ~Bob Dylan, "Mr. Tambourine Man"

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Second to Nan


The semester teaching at Thawangphapittayakhom School has been slowly winding down, so I’ve made more of an effort to stay local in Nan on the weekends.  I know I’ve previously praised the village of Thawangpha, located eleven hours north of Bangkok in the province of Nan, but I really can’t emphasize enough how much I’ve enjoyed living here the past four months.  The people are distinguishably friendly, laid back, have a great sense of humor and embody the peacefulness of the landscapes and Buddhism.

Josh and I have cherished our daily routine of playing frisbee next to a temple by the Nan River, then going swimming in the river with many of the students.  Recently we’ve discovered a dam that channels the river around and in effect creates a stronger current that carries its passengers merrily downstream.  The water is a bit murky but refreshingly cool and perfect for play; it’s a pleasant place and a favorite of the Thai kids, who love to jump in and take ride after ride in the lazy river.

It’s been rewarding to live in a small and quiet area for an extended amount of time and make a connection with the locals, rather than just pass through quickly as a tourist.  The teachers and students are always excited to see us farangs (foreigners) outside of school, whether it’s playing sports with them or simply stopping to chat at the main local market.    Interacting with teachers and students in town helps create Thawangpha’s attractive sense of community and makes Josh and I, the only two farangs in town, feel like we belong. 

Anecdote: The other day I was talking in broken English and Thai with some students and a girl asked me where I went to get my hair curled (Thai people are unfamiliar with naturally curly hair), which reminded me of the scene from Knocked Up when Ben Stone (Seth Rogen) is asked which hair product he uses to make his hair so curly and he replies, “uh, ‘Jew’ it’s called.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment