"Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship
My senses have been stripped, my hands can't feel to grip
My toes too numb to step, wait only for my boot heels
To be wanderin'
I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade
Into my own parade, cast your dancing spell my way
I promise to go under it." ~Bob Dylan, "Mr. Tambourine Man"

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Seven-Tiered Waterfalls at Erawan National Park


Another weekend leaving Thawangpha by overnight bus,
They’re pretty comfortable though so no reason to fuss,
In Bangkok I met up with Jill and to Konchanaburi we took a minivan
Which ingeniously lacked a trunk so we held our bags and felt pretty crammed.


Upon arrival we rented a motorbike and found a suitable bungalow,
We drove to Erawan National Park which would have been a favorite of Thoreau,
That is if there weren’t so many obnoxious tourists posing by the waterfalls in speedos,
I wanted to say, “This is Thai culture, not the Jersey Shore with guidos,”
But even their blotchy sunburned blubber couldn’t stop us from enjoying the spectacular seven-tiered waterfalls,


A jungle oasis with waterfalls both wide and tall,
Each of the seven could have been its own main attraction,
Monkeys swung from trees and stole some of the action,
We enjoyed the show and took a seat,
Then fish in the pools pecked and tickled our feet,
The waterfall scenery seemed so unreal we were simply in awe,
Undoubtedly the most beautiful waterfalls I ever saw.


On our ride back we got caught in a hard rain,
This was an issue on the motorbike and much ground we could not gain,
It was cold, dark and slippery and we didn’t want to risk any fatalities,
So we made several stops at the scarce nearby houses and appreciated the typical Thai hospitality,
Finally got back and then marveled about Thailand and all its fun,
How the Erawan weekend was symbolic of each Thaiventure- second to none. 

No comments:

Post a Comment