"Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship
My senses have been stripped, my hands can't feel to grip
My toes too numb to step, wait only for my boot heels
To be wanderin'
I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade
Into my own parade, cast your dancing spell my way
I promise to go under it." ~Bob Dylan, "Mr. Tambourine Man"

Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Beginning in Bangkok



Yeaaaaaaah! My first blog post on my first blog! I'm a fan of bogs and logs, so I figured I'd give this blog thing a shot... I was hoping to post something a week ago at an internet cafĂ© in Bangkok, but I spent half the time figuring out how to change the website’s language from Thai to English… 

Thailand has been really cool so far.  Considered “the land of smiles,” Thailand naturally has that southern Asian vibe to it, in terms of the lush landscapes with palm trees and coconuts and the humid heat that often calls for multiple showers a day.  The Thai people embody the sentiment of their popular phrase “mai pen rai,” meaning “no worries” or “it’s all good,” as they exhibit an easy going, laid back attitude, which partially seems like a result of the widespread Buddhism (95% of the country).  My first reaction was that Thailand is much less intense than India (not as polluted, chaotic, nor overwhelming), although you can similarly experience a thrilling ride on a tuk-tuk (auto rickshaw) or practice your bargaining skills at the local market. 

Thought I was in a Dr. Suess story at The Grand Palace
The 2011 CIEE/OEG teach abroad program has about 140 really chillll participants, so we had a fun orientation week getting to know each other.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover how much we all had in common: another participant also recently graduated from Kenyon, two others studied abroad at the same university in New Zealand as me, and, as anticipated, everyone was really DTE (down to earth) and shared a serious case of the travel bug.  We played a bunch of Frisbee (I thought it was cool that I wasn’t the only one to bring a disc to Thailand), partied in downtown Bangkok (not quite any “Hangover 2” experiences, although we figured out that “ping pong show” has another meaning… ), did some sightseeing at  The Grand Palace, hung out at a really hip art bar, played guitar on the beach, and yes, we actually learned some teaching strategies for the next semester.  Some of our classes were certainly helpful in teaching us how to prepare lesson plans, especially for teaching rookies like me, but it was difficult being cooped up inside when you’re in such an adventurous place like Thailand!  At the least, orientation helped me brush up on some doodling and hangman skills. 

We left Bangkok a day early in order to avoid the approaching flood, which apparently has been one of the worst in decades.  After we climbed onto the ark two by two and locked up the woodpeckers and termites, we headed down south and found shelter from the storm at a baller beach resort by Chonburi and Pattaya.  There, we begrudgingly sat through orientation lectures until we finally jumped into the ocean, pool, and made use of the pool’s tiki bar… actually IN the pool!  I can’t remember how many times I expressed how sweet it was that we’re all finally in frieken Thailand and that instead we could be sitting behind a desk somewhere…!  But I was preaching to the choir as everyone shared my enthusiasm to start exploring.

At night, we hopped on the back of a taxi truck and went to Pattaya to check out the party scene, but were too disgusted by the blatant prostitution.  It was mostly middle aged and older gross European dudes with NO SHAME and it was everywhere… and to make matters even more sickening, the sleaziness occurred in the midst of poor and crippled beggars sitting in the gutters, sometimes even with their children.  I agreed with a shirt that read: “You either go to heaven or Pattaya.”  So we quickly took a taxi back to the hotel and bought some beers and went back to the beach.  In just one week in Thailand, it became pretty evident that there are many different sides to the country that combine to produce an illogical mix of beauty and filth, exploitation and integrity, peacefulness and chaos, degradation and modesty, regulation and lawlessness, and superficiality and substantiality.  The Thai experience includes the juxtaposition of zen gardens and Buddhist monasteries against sex shows where women perform the most unimaginable “vaginal tricks.”  The sex trade is rampant, yet one can get a life sentence for smoking weed.  It has been challenging to reconcile the “yin and yang” of Thailand, although it seems that there is a significant distinction to be made between the tourist culture and the authentic Thai culture.  I look forward to learning and experiencing more of the latter.
Thawangpha is a small village 5 hours northeast of Chaing Mai

Orientation ended and I left the comforts of a 4 star resort on the beach and a fun group of fellow teachers whom I plan on traveling around Asia with during and after the semester.  Most teachers are placed within a few hour radius of Bangkok, while others are scattered down the peninsula in the south by the beautiful beaches or up north in the misty mountains and more rural settings.  I took the 12 hour bus ride from Bangkok to Thawangpha and was ready to embrace the real Thai experience, which quickly smacked me in the face upon arrival… 

No comments:

Post a Comment